Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Adios Santo Domingo

This past weekend I finally got out of the capital and spent my weekend in another volunteer’s site to see how a real PCV lives. Let me start off by saying, this country is so beautiful and diverse. I traveled two hours north of the capital to an artisan town. It was such a relief to finally see a volunteer in action. I received so much reassurance that this job was meant for me. My volunteer is in the last stretch of her service and has accomplished amazing things. She has built a library, organized an artisan group who sells the most authentic, symbolic and popular ceramic dolls in the country, she has taught English, business and sex education classes, organized regional conferences and camps, the list goes on. It was very inspirational. I also got the ins and outs of PCV life (something our trainers don’t really know). The volunteers in the DR have one of the most active PC support systems in the world. Volunteers organize tons of events, we celebrate holidays together, put together conferences, travel, have numerous traditions, take part in marathons, etc. Now I understand how much of a family we truly are. I have so much to look forward to in the next two years.

I am finding it difficult to express everything in my blog. I have so much to say because everything is all new to me. I could go on forever just about this week alone. Tomorrow I am leaving for more technical training to the north part of the country with other volunteers that will focus on Economic Development like myself. We will be there for 5 weeks. Once I return, I will finally get my site assignment for the next two years, the moment we have all been waiting for.

Yesterday I was asked in my placement interview, out of 1 to 10, how committed do I feel to Peace Corps. After finally seeing real PCV life, I feel highly committed. I feel very motivated. I am eager to find out where I will be serving.

I think after this post, I am going to concentrate on specific events that happen and things that strike me instead of just regurgitating everything I do. There are many topics I want to talk about so you can get a better understanding of how I have been acclimating not only to a new culture, but as a PCV.

My “firsts” this past week:

-Rode on a motoconcho
-Beach trip to Sasoa in the north (Did I mention I live in paradise)
-Travelled into the mountains (very rural, could only get there using a motoconcho)
-saw a tarantula
-Danced meringue and bachata
-Gave my first charla (presentation) to a group of local Dominican artisans on conflict resolution
-ate street food, a bola of yucca (ball of yucca), really good
-Baked my first pumpkin pie from scratch for my host family
- ate Dominican sushi (they put a spin on it with platanos, really good)
-Shoved 11 people into a 5 seater car (funny thing was, it was the volunteers who suggested we take one car. Dominicans are rubbing off on us)

What I am looking forward to within the Peace Corps Family:

-Bola (Hitchhiking) Race- just imagine Amazing Race, PC style, yes I am serious
-Thanksgiving with my fellow volunteers
-Writing for the Peace Corps newsletter
-Helping plan a regional conference
-Running my first half marathon
-(Possibly) getting SCUBA certified
-Learning to play the guitar (they are pretty cheap here)
- Having all my friends and family come visit
-Volunteer Potlucks

1 comment:

  1. a) tell me when to visit! b) half marathon!!!!! when? I want to run one here too....without you it just wont be the same!

    miss you so much! keep it up kid.

    ReplyDelete