Wednesday, December 29, 2010

You Don't Say

Written: December 21

I was interviewing one of my favorite doñas in the community the other day. My interviews never consist of just going through a survey. That would freak them out. Too official for them and let’s be real-you can’t really get to know people by doing that anyways. It is all about conversating, drinking coffee, burping babies, sometimes helping peel fresh peas that they are working on for dinner. You get my drift. So, we are “conversating.” She is explaining to me why her grandson lives with her. His mother left him when he was a baby. Why? She didn’t like to cook. I hope that is what they told their grandson. Apparently an aversion for cooking is fair game for leaving your family. It does take up a lot of time, but really?

They say when you can cook, you better find yourself a man if you haven’t already because you are ready to get married. It appears that when you are sick of it, you are also ready for a divorce.

No comments:

Post a Comment