Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Confianza Over A Cup of Coffee

I have been in Las Galeras for a week and a half and days are going by fast. I am still the new kid on the block, but I am finally able to put names to more faces. The importance of my first three months at my site is to build confianza, translating to building trust, with my community-building relationships and an understanding of one another.What exactly does that entail? Walking around talking to everyone in the streets, going to people’s homes and having coffee with doƱas, stopping by the school to talk with teachers, watching dramatic telenovelas with my family, listening to music with some neighborhood kids, going for a quick dip in the ocean with my sister and cousins, helping kids with their homework, taking a jewelry making course with local artisans, sitting through intense evangelist church services, attending every community meeting for every organization, meeting with the mayor, making small talk with the farmer that always rides past me on his horse on my run, etc. etc. Thus far, it has been a great way to compartir, to share who I am and why I am here, but also to get to know other people and understand the members of my community. Needless to say, I have been very busy. And although some days are harder than others (sitting through church gatherings are very intense and not exactly my cup of tea), I am starting to feel more comfortable with my surroundings.

Yesterday I hosted my first, somewhat official event, a Veterinary Medical Mission. Veterinarians from the United States came to give free services for the animals in my community. It was a great turnout with about 150-200 animals receiving care from vaccinations, operations, neutering and consultations. I was in charge of finding a location for them to work, setting it up and translating for the veterinarians during the event. This was a quick win in my community-a great way for members of the community to see that I will be opening the doors to many opportunities that they can take advantage of.

Today I have been inside all day due to the unruly rain. Keeping busy doing my own research and homework and passing time with my family as they watch TV at an audible level to drain out the sound of the rain. This morning when I had a little time to myself (this never happens). I found ABC and NBC television channels (didn’t even know we had them). We get the news from South Florida, so I spent a little time watching Good Morning America. I feel so out of the loop and to be honest watching English television, seeing familiar places, getting the update on who was kicked off Dancing with the Stars last night, made me home sick. Maybe it’s better to keep the distance that I have developed. Don’t get me wrong, I love being here, but there are days where you just miss a piece of America. Whether it is being able to drive somewhere, have a choice of what I want to eat (miss the chain restaurants), talking to people that I can relate to, hearing the same teenie bop song on the radio every fifteen minutes, Monday night football, efficiency-okay, you get my point. So I guess for the best, I was lucky to only have about ten minutes of the TV to myself before my host dad came in to watch the very graphic local news. Nothing like watching a dead gang member murdered on the street-live, no censoring. Just another cultural difference. I might not get used to that in two years, but I can definitely get used to using rain as an excuse to pass the day inside since the town shuts down when there is rain.


A rainbow on my street after some of the rains

Some pics from the Vet Med Mission



1 comment:

  1. I just read all your blog entries from September until now...and wow, Gabs, you really are living your dream! I'm so amazed that you're literally in the middle of nowhere (granted, paradise) and you have to basically make this massive difference to a town community "from scratch". You're seriously an inspiration, and I really do love reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete